Mental Dump: 18 March 2020

I’ve neglected this blog for almost a month, which is hardly surprising.

The Workplace

First, consider my sudden, massive inflow of work.

On the bright side of things, that means I’m needed.

On the dark side of things, that means I hardly have the time to do the things I really would like to do. And without going into too many details, I have had to carry two laptops around as a side effect.

Cue scary-looking image of my scoliosis

COVID-19

All hopes for a boring and better 2020 were dashed early on with COVID-19. The hope that it would be a relatively minor blip on the radar were gradually dashed as it became clear that the effects would be significantly worse than SARS.

As tragic as SARS had been, I was lucky enough to have been relatively well-sheltered against it. Being a full-time national serviceman had something to do with it. It helps a lot when you’re effectively shut away from civillization for long periods of time.

COVID-19, on the other hand, is another different ball game. To be sure, it is less deadly than SARS, and something like 80% of all victims will only get mild symptoms. Still, that’s cold comfort to the other 20% who will get serious symptoms, and the (up to) 2 – 3% who die as a result.

More concerning, though, are the effects on the economy. Certainly the hit in tourist arrivals alone would be highly damaging to the economy.

Universal Studios on a Tuesday Morning.

Sure, that would be great if you’ve been putting off visiting Universal Studios because of the crowds (take it from me – the Express Pass is all but pointless now). But the lack of visitors will hurt us.

Then one whammy after another came. The current jump due to imported cases, for one. Or the one where Malaysia was put under effective near-lockdown, with spillover effects on us.

And I thought the severely-reduced Civil Service Bonus last year was bad enough. Sigh.

My own health

I would have to say that my own health is holding up pretty well, all told. At least I do not have any terminal or long-term chronic illnesses. I guess that’s something to cheer about.

That being said, I have to say that my own mental wellbeing is under serious assault. All these pressures…. I would be lying if I said that there was no net toll on me.

It has not escaped me either that I’m at my least fit right now – the last time I ran a long-distance run was back in August 2018, just prior to my scoliosis/ degenerative disc disease diagnosis. I still do run 5 clicks a couple of times a week, but that’s still a far cry from the 25 clicks I could average at my prime.

Final thoughts

I know that nobody’s really reading this, though if someone is, it would be nice if you could just say ‘Hi’ or something. I am connected to a lot of people in my line of work and in my everyday life, yet in some strange way I’ve never felt more… isolated.

Long, rambling thoughts. Not very healthy of me.

I’ll show myself out.

1 thought on “Mental Dump: 18 March 2020”

  1. Hi Fadzli,
    I’d always enjoyed reading your blogs.
    Madrid’s currently on a massive lockdown – we’re only allowed to go to the supermarkets, pharmacies or medical centers. I went for a morning run a few days ago but was stopped by the police and ordered to go home or face a €300 fine. I hope it would not come to that in Singapore, coz it ain’t fun.
    I know it’s easier said than done, but do invest in taking care of your own health – your loved ones depend on your mental and physical well-being.
    Please convey my regards and love to everyone at home, and I’ll be thinking of you and your family during these challenging times.
    Take care, Dear Cousin!
    Abg Haider

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *